Desired State is a UK-based feminist organisation that offers education and activism around the very misunderstood topic of female sexual desire.
Our mission is threefold:
1. To change the way we all talk about and understand ‘low sex drives’.
We will achieve this through education, campaigns and community based activism, encouraging our followers to bust myths around desire, sex and female pleasure and challenge harmful attitudes or representations of desire.
2. Transform conversations about sex within relationships.
By changing the way people understand low female sexual desire we will help couples better navigate the issue, thereby removing the silence around low desire, eliminating the shame and stop women from enduring sexual coercion and bad/boring/painful sex.
3. Empower over 10,000 women with expert knowledge on sexual desire and actionable tools to create a future where all womxn know the secret to unlocking their own sexual desire.
We will achieve this through engaging, educating and empowering women via our sexuality workshops, online platform, courses and coaching to help elevate their desire.
Our founder (Laura) realised that there are very few resources for women experiencing low sexual desire available. The most visible information that she did find was largely unhelpful. Much of it was either:
- medicalised (dysfunction disorders anyone?)
- simplistic (“because of stress”)
- odd (you’re not drinking enough sex coffee or eating enough brocolli)
- or felt kind of scary (see a sex therapist! Take a pink pill!).
Fewer still addressed why this issue is SO common for women.
The great stuff she did find was spread across numerous websites and in different corners of books, and there was nowhere that pulled together all the good work that is out there for women to easily access.
So, to remedy this- Desired State was created.